Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
F A D E D

Suggestion: Marines (OOAAAH)

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Marines

How to do Marines, and why we need them - Or should have them.

So, Marines have been a tense topic in the past due to a few reasons.
A) They tend to wave their dicks around
B) Hard to police the police
C) "Buuuh they are event only"

Well, here is an easy way to fix this. It is clear there is a need for Marines, seeing as Admins constantly use them during things such as. . .
Court Marshalls.
RNR.
Flavour and critical investigations on the ship.

It could be argued, Fleet could also be done this way - But they are around for flavour.
Here is how Marines could work, and not be broken.

Marines operate with the following rank structure.

JSpc -> A lower-tier constable. New to the force, they help with things like. . 
Daily operation, Critical intervention, crowd control, Investigative assistance.
Brig Guard, Bridge Guard, Hanger Guard.
They are unable to open investigations, and have the effective authority of a Corporal.

Spc -> A normal constable. They are a little more seasoned, and are tasked to investigations and general policing.
Daily operation, critical intervention, crowd control, law enforcement, and investigative lead.
They are able to request investigations, and may lead them with a team of their choosing.
They have the effective authority of a Sergeant.

Ofc. -> A vetted constable. They are the top of the top, and tend to take a more leadership role.
Daily operation, critical intervention, crowd control, law enforcement, and investigative lead.
They are able to open investigations on Master Sergeants, and below. 
They have the effective authority of a Master Sergeant.

LOfc. -> Leading Constable.
Deals with the organization of the Marines in their division.
They have the effective authority of a Lieutenant
They fall under Intel's command.

Mainly for the same flavour as Fleet, and possibly used on drops where an FOB is in place.
Here are some ground rules, to prevent dumb bullshit.

1) Marines only have authority to use NJPs when on investigation. While people can be detained in critical situations, this 
sort of thing is left to Mobile Infantry Leadership.
2) Master Sergeant Investigations MUST be coordinated with Mobile Infantry Upper command.
3) Msgt+ Investigations are NOT handled by Marines, and fall to under Intel's role.
4) Marines fall under the UCFJ just like everyone else, and may be reported to command just like any other, if caught abusing their power.

Again, mainly used for flavour like Fleet. If people are caught abusing it, just do what is done with people who abuse literally anything else, like MIPOD.
(Instant Char Black-Bag, removal, etc etc)


 

 

Edited by F A D E D
  • Like 3
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

While I love marines, I see zero reason to get them at the moment. NCOs & officer have their people under control from what I see.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Wewai said:

While I love marines, I see zero reason to get them at the moment. NCOs & officer have their people under control from what I see.

Let's think about the shitstorm of court-martial fuckery we've had this past week, then reconsider that statement. I think marines would be a cool passive branch, IF they are done correctly.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think if handled like MIPOD, there would not be any issue.
No fuckery, or you're out. It's a privilege in a way, not an inherent right to RP something like this.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I wouldn't mind adding functionality to make detective work as the marines very interesting.

Derma, Code, all the good stuff.

Depends how people want it to work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m not gonna take this seriously based on the font. 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Jimbow said:

I’m not gonna take this seriously based on the font. 

Fixed

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The issue with marines in the past is certain people used the faction in order to 'power'. Now personally I am all for Marines, I believe some of the ideas you gave make sense. Ultimately they should not be able to big dick anyone around. Also I think they should act like bodyguards toward upper command.   

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Jimbow said:

The issue with marines in the past is certain people used the faction in order to 'power'. Now personally I am all for Marines, I believe some of the ideas you gave make sense. Ultimately they should not be able to big dick anyone around. Also I think they should act like bodyguards toward upper command.   

We used to have personnel security as a specialization of marines. I think if we keep it well regulated and strict, then it should be perfectly fine.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think they'd serve an important role, really. But we do need to have it be tentative. Anyone who is obviously using it to get power quickly or show bias from player to player (oocly) should probably be reconsidered for their position.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

From my experience in the Marines, I found that their main purpose is fulfilled on-ship. For that reason, I think Marines should only be event characters that operate on an ad hoc basis.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As long as Marines will also be regular soldiers that aren't hot headed but indeed are there to give training to enlisted and keep them in check instead of NCOs, I'm all game. I can see them working in combat too, for example some soldier disobeys orders from an NCO, the Marines can take note of this and scold the person after the mission/drop, so they don't have to argue in mid-drop like we currently do most of the times which is IC matter but still ooga booga.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an admin I've used Marines in events and I see the arguments for them. They're pretty much just glorified MPs, because the last time Marines were allowed to go on drops was a fucking shit-storm and a half.

Do we really need MPs? Sorta. On one hand, the sheer amount of court martials and time spent in the brig for people is rising astronomically high. Having Marines to guard people in the brig and guard CMs makes sense. At worst - it just adds some extra flavour to briggings and CMs by having a player guard them. It'd also give people in the brig someone to roleplay with, which is pretty good because being in the brig is fucking boring.

But - what's the main argument for and against marines? As it stands, Marines have never been a faction to take the spotlight away from players. If anything, whilst they might have incredible judicial ability, Marines inherently always were and should always be a passive orientated faction that doesn't take away the spotlight from other players, but instead encourages their roleplay.

As Tonic previously said in the forums, the point of Marines is to find the weakest link in the MI and reinforce this link. They aren't big-dick swinging retards, nor should marines be 40k-tier inquisitors, running investigations left and right (as a whole, investigations should be a pretty rare occurrence). They aren't combat-orientated characters, they are here to enhance the roleplay for other people. This is why I've only used my Marine in events - most specifically, Fleet events.

So? Do we need Marines? I mean, probably. They'd be a good thing to have, and I'm for adding them myself, but they'd need tight oversight and rules enforced on them to prevent Marines just being like, another flavour of MI, or even worse, becoming the dick-swinging trogolodytes they got known as.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

NCOs and Intel are doing a good enough job at policing people. From what I've seen I think Marines would only further the issues we have currently and not fix them.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, Sting said:

As an admin I've used Marines in events and I see the arguments for them. They're pretty much just glorified MPs, because the last time Marines were allowed to go on drops was a fucking shit-storm and a half.

Do we really need MPs? Sorta. On one hand, the sheer amount of court martials and time spent in the brig for people is rising astronomically high. Having Marines to guard people in the brig and guard CMs makes sense. At worst - it just adds some extra flavour to briggings and CMs by having a player guard them. It'd also give people in the brig someone to roleplay with, which is pretty good because being in the brig is fucking boring.

But - what's the main argument for and against marines? As it stands, Marines have never been a faction to take the spotlight away from players. If anything, whilst they might have incredible judicial ability, Marines inherently always were and should always be a passive orientated faction that doesn't take away the spotlight from other players, but instead encourages their roleplay.

As Tonic previously said in the forums, the point of Marines is to find the weakest link in the MI and reinforce this link. They aren't big-dick swinging retards, nor should marines be 40k-tier inquisitors, running investigations left and right (as a whole, investigations should be a pretty rare occurrence). They aren't combat-orientated characters, they are here to enhance the roleplay for other people. This is why I've only used my Marine in events - most specifically, Fleet events.

So? Do we need Marines? I mean, probably. They'd be a good thing to have, and I'm for adding them myself, but they'd need tight oversight and rules enforced on them to prevent Marines just being like, another flavour of MI, or even worse, becoming the dick-swinging trogolodytes they got known as.

Agreed with Sting.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...